The capabilities of XML-RPC are limited. However, some of these limitations (for example simplicity) are in many ways the advantage of XML-RPC, as they reduce programmer’s effort substantially. However, understanding these limitations make it possible to avoid pitfalls or traps when designing complex applications. The following are some of its limitations:
- Choice of data types is limited.
- No facility to represent NaN for floating point number.
- Only ASCII characters are allowed in strings.
- There is no provision for passing objects.
- No way to check types of array values.
- No facility to check if a struct has duplicate names.
- Little or no provision for security.
Source: Uttam Kumar Roy (2015), Advanced Java programming, Oxford University Press.